Our volunteer board ensures 100% of your donation supports educational expenses. All external expenses are covered by board members.
Donate to AWEF
Make a Cash/Check donation
or a donation in honor of someone made payable to:
African Women's Education Fund (AWEF)
104 Grand St.
Croton-on-Hudson NY 10520 USA
To donate while you shop, visit http://smile.amazon.com/. By choosing AWEF on Amazon Smile, 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases will be donated to AWEF. When accessing for the first time, enter AWEF when asked to pick your charitable organization and click search to get started.
What does your contribution provide?
Tuition, books, uniforms, school fees, travel to and from school and room and board.
- AWEF supports secondary education of young African women.
- Our partners in Africa select and recommend those students who have demonstrated their ability to complete secondary education by passing an entrance exam.
- Each year, AWEF approves as many of these young women as our fundraising and budget allows.
- Also, we agree to support additional girls only if we have sufficient funds to allow them to complete their full program of studies for a secondary education.
- After acceptance, each student works with her African sponsor to send the AWEF Board:
- A photo and a brief bio
- A yearly description of her course of studies
- Evidence of passing grades and ongoing needs
How your contribution makes it to the students
- Based on their understanding of AWEF's support capabilities, the school headmaster or a designated representation submits a budget request to the AWEFBoard.
- Depending on the African country and/or school involved, the required funds are either wired directly overseas or a check is sent to a designated U.S. contact.
- These approved amounts go directly to the school headmasters who in turn deliver the money directly to the school.
- A representative of AWEF verifies receipt of the funds and oversees each expenditure and use of the funding.
In 2019 the board authorized an independent audit of the board’s finances. There were no reported inconsistencies. AWEF will continue to be independently audited in accordance with good accounting practices.